Phoenix Solar Home Sales continue to climb in December 2015

Posted · Add Comment

Phoenix area solar home sales continued to climb 12.94 percent month over month according to recent data from the Arizona Regional Multiple Listing Service (ARMLS) from December 1, 2015 to December 31, 2015.

There were a total of 85 verified solar home sales in Maricopa County for the month of December, up from the 74 confirmed sales in November.  Homes with a solar leases (whether monthly lease payments or prepaid monthly solar leases) accounted for 54 of the 85 sales (63.5%) while homes with solar owned electric systems accounted for the balance of 31 Phoenix area solar home sales in December 2015.

The median price for a solar home in Phoenix jumped to $270,000, up from $247,500 in November.  Leased solar homes had a median price of $252,806 (up from the median of $237,500 in November) while the median price for a solar owned home increased to $315,000. The median price for a single family residence under $500,000 in Maricopa County in December was $228,000, up from November 2015.

The median days on the market for a resale home in Maricopa County was 45 days in December 2015.  Solar in general stayed within reach of the average market with an median time to sell at 47 days.  Phoenix homes with a solar owned system took less time with an average of 47 days while Phoenix area homes with solar leases took 47 days as well. The average days on the market for a solar home in Maricopa County was 63 days versus a market average of 63 days (solar leases had an average market time of 59 days while solar owned was 69 days).

Two-thirds of the total solar home sales in Maricopa County were in APS territory (71.8%) while the remaining 28.2 percent of the solar homes were within SRP territory.  SRP solar homes sold in 47 days versus solar homes selling in 47 days in APS territory.  The median price for a solar home in APS territory was $267,000 and SRP territory was $282,250.

Mortgages helped finance 76.5 percent of all solar sales in the Phoenix area in December, down from the previous month.  Conventional financing (Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac mortgages) accounted for 51.8 percent of the total solar home sales in the Phoenix area while FHA and VA financing total 15.3 percent and 8.2 percent respectively. Cash home buyers purchased 23.5 percent of the total Phoenix solar homes for sale in December.  Sellers contributed towards buyer’s closing costs in one-fifth of all sales (20 percent).

The typical solar home sold in the Phoenix area in December was a 3 bedroom, 2 bath home with 2,119 square feet on a 8,378 square foot lot.  The solar home was built in 2002 and had a 6 kW solar array on the roof.

Considering selling a home with solar? Want to know how much additional value solar adds to your home? Give Rob, the Solar Home Broker, a call at 480-888-1234!

NOTE:  Only resale single family residences that sold during the month of December 2015 in Maricopa County with a sales price of $500,000 or less were used in the analysis (non-luxury market).  Properties priced over $500,000 fall into the luxury category and were not used in this analysis. All sales were verified to have a solar electric (solar PV) system that was owned outright by the home owner or had a solar lease.  While all attempts were made to ensure quality and accurate data, I am limited by the data reported (for example, only 25.9 percent of listing Realtors actually inputted the size of the solar system).  Homes with only solar water heaters or solar thermal pool systems that did not have a solar electric system on the roof were not included due to the extreme differences in these types of systems.
Share this page with a friend
Click Here
 

Phoenix Solar Home Blog

Solar systems, whether leased or owned, provide the homeowner with a lower cost of ownership.

2014 EPA Study on the impact of solar in residential housing

The amount of sunshine energy that hits the surface of the Earth every minute is greater than the total amount of energy that the world's human population consumes in a year!

Home Power Magazine

When there's a huge solar energy spill, it's just called a nice day.

Anonymous

Solar - A shining example of alternative energy

Anonymous

It's really kind of cool to have solar panels on your roof.

Bill Gates

I'd put my money on the sun and solar energy. What a source of power! I hope we don't have to wait till oil and coal run out before we tackle that.

Thomas Edison